Thursday, April 4, 2013

Tate Museum and the 159th Annual Boat Race - Amanda Prevost

Cheerio!! I hope my classmates have been informing everyone on all of our adventures. There sure have been a lot of them, and I can hardly believe we only have a few weeks left in this amazing part of the world. Like my peers, I took advantage of the four day weekend we had for Easter! The Brits call it "bank holiday" simply because the bank is closed... Of course, none of us minded getting off work!

Friday, I went out to Brighton with a few friends. We saw the beach for the first time in what seems like forever. Even if it had small rocks instead of sand granules, still counts as a beach!! We had a nice lunch and roamed the city a bit. It may not sound eventful, but honestly it was just nice to explore the UK more and see an area outside the crowded city streets of London. It still amazes me that essentially any city is just a train ride away. Saturday, Sydney and I decided to explore and went over the bridge to the Tate Museum of Modern Art. Like with all modern art, we couldn't help but question some pieces. But that's the fun of it, isn't it?



A simple mirror. While very reflective, this piece is still questionable.


View crossing the Millenium Bridge

After an incredibly contemporary Easter Sunday church service (complete with breakdancers and a music video), a group of us headed out to a new part of town for one of the UK's oldest traditions. The 159th Annual Cambridge Oxford Boat Race has been bringing students and spectators to the Thames for, well, 159 years now. It was a very lively scene, very community-oriented. It reminded me a bit of the parades and festivals I used to attend with my family back at home. Vendors lined the sidewalks and event swag was being given out every 20 feet or so. The event's theme was "Which Blue are You?," so we all chose a flag in one of the two shades. I chose Cambridge, partially because it was a beautiful blue, and partially because it was Cambridge. Oxford won in the end, but it was nice to be a part of the excitement and an event that isn't necessarily touristy, but can only happen in London.

My Cambridge support flag!! And a nice photobomb delivery from Sam



Cambridge and Oxford rowing!

Monday, I toured Warner Bros Studios with Sydney, Andrew, and Ryan! Probably one of the most amazing experiences I've had yet. My inner (and outer, really) Harry Potter nerd was in full force, and my camera's memory card nearly filled up.

Again I say: I can hardly believe we only have a few weeks left here. Time to get exploring!! I know I've already made my list... Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment