Sunday, February 3, 2013

First Football Match - Luke Dyson

Fulham
My favorite experience of my study abroad this far was definitely this past Wednesday. Louis, Sam, and I boarded the underground around 5 p.m. to head towards Fulham to watch Fulham FC play West Ham United in one of the many London derbies. When we finally got to the stadium, it was surprisingly quiet. Football games in the U.S. are usually really loud and crowded near the stadium, so I was completely thrown off when there were only a few hundred people there and it was generally quiet. That all changed come game time though. All the fans showed up right before kickoff and literally sang the whole game. Louis, Sam and I sat on the 3rd row to the right of the goal, right up next to the pitch. It was amazing. The energy level of the football here is completely unique and addicting. I was completely wrapped up in the game for the full 90 minutes. Fulham won 3-1 and I couldn't have asked for a better first experience. (Oh, and yes. Fulham has a statue of Michael Jackson inside their stadium).

No comments:

Post a Comment