Wednesday, January 23, 2013

An Unexpected Detour- Liza Reineri

Well, someone was bound to get lost eventually, so I figured I would just get over with early..

Yesterday was quite an eventful day. I had my internship interview with the Fulbright Commission, an organization that promotes educational exchange and cultural awareness. Located near the Battersea Power Station and River Thames, my map and travel instructions said that it would take around 30 minutes to get there by tube from our flats. 

So, being very unfamiliar with the area, I left about 2 hours early. I figured I would get off the tube, figure out where I was going, find a Starbucks and just relax for a bit. Unfortunately, that didn't really go as well as I planned... 

Instead, I got off the tube, headed the direction of the office, and...roadblock! The helicopter crash that occurred last week was right in the middle of the main intersection, now taped off and closed to all pedestrians and vehicles. Uh oh. 

I figured I could find a detour some way or another and tried to ignore the fact that there was only one main road to the power station. Long story short, after thirty minutes of walking around aimlessly, I called my contact at Fulbright and asked for help. With her and two coworkers help, I finally made it to the office. It took a train, bus ride, and over an hour and a half, but somehow I was still five minutes early to my interview (which, on a side note, went great). 

It was quite an afternoon. On the bright side, I would like to say I am now a train/bus riding pro (disregard the fact that Amanda, Sydney, and I got on the wrong bus today...maybe amateur is better).

Battersea Train Station, on the River Thames



 

No comments:

Post a Comment